Wednesday 5 November 2014

Why Richard Prince Does Not Suck (perhaps I can say, perhaps I can't)





So Richard Prince's show at The Gagosian Gallery, Madison Avenue, attracted some flak..................who hasn't/doesn't/won't? Answer: the next Great Artist (Impressionist?) blockbuster at _________ (wherever). Yes, 'cause we all love Impressionism............................?

Prince's "New Portraits" show came to my attention via this blog, which quoted this review and straight away I want to say I like Our God Is Speed - so don't get the wrong impression....

Don't get the impression that I'm a massive fan of Richard Prince either.................but I do like him.......his work.......I've never met him, you'll be surprised to learn..........

I'm not about to react to every bullet fired at Prince by the critic...
I'm about to tell you why he doesn't suck...

Saying 'Richard Prince Sucks' in headline form sucks..............(and I don't like the word 'sucks' so using it tells you how much I don't like it...........(I'm speaking American)...........................

Prince doesn't suck because he's Richard Prince. That isn't normally enough, just being someone. In this case, it is, because...............

I'm in a generous mood.
I feel goodwill towards Prince.
Further....................................I feel goodwill towards every artist on the planet who isn't creating
bad Surrealism
Goth art
terrible nude 'portraits' supposedly depicting 'beautiful' women (imaginary)
anything featuring unicorns....or fantasy Art full stop
etc (there's a lot else just beyond the recall wall, which I have no intention of jumping you'll be pleased to know)

But....

You know what? I'm even feeling goodwill towards creators of all of the above. Yes. That's how generous I'm feeling. I'm being positive about art-makers around the world! You know, they say negative attitudes just rebound and smack the speaker right in the chops. I'm assuming that's true........
I'm assuming you'll think me a better person for being that way........
I am not assuming that by being so kind-hearted anyone will comment saying so, which will lead to more nice comments, which will lead to this blog attracting millions of visitors because what I do is speak positively about everything and everyone as well as offering chirpy good advice to all amateur artists along with a photo of myself baring snow white teeth, and a perfect complexion which belies my healthy approach to living life to the full which I prove by providing amazing photos of me standing on top of a mountain, riding a horse or walking my dog amongst stunning scenery because I'm so well-rounded, healthy, wise but, shucks, willing to confess I have weaknesses just like you.......................

No. That would be a lie.........because..............I'm an unhealthy wretch living in a London basement whilst having to endure the kind of looks and physique that make Gollum look like Paul Newman and I can currently think of no good advice to give anyone except don't pick your nose or your brains will cave in...

Richard Prince...yes...he had the gall to photograph photos and let someone call it 'art'. Did he? I don't know. He had the nerve to appropriate beyond the call of duty...


...and I do think it should be someone's duty to appropriate pop and unpop images...............as reclamation? Disgust throw showing? A prank? A tribute? A middle finger to the rule of 'authenticity' and 'originality'? All. Why not?

Prince has talked about "never thinking anyone was looking" - as good a mantra as I can imagine for all unsuccessful artists........................success means never being able to say that...never being able to create without thinking about the gallery-owner, agent, money and public...........

Right...I'm not saying that blowing up Instagram images of young girls and including your chatty responses is inherently good/clever/wise........poor old (64) Richard...leering at young girls...........grooming them for their 15mins (5 weeks, actually) of quasi fame...no..........I'm saying he's allowed to be 'wrong' or make 'wrong' choices because harmless Wrong is OK with me. If any girls were harmed due to being featured I would think otherwise. I allow wrong moves by those I think are generally Right - don't you? Was Miles Davis a saint? Are all your heroes perfect? "But these 'wrong' moves are made public", you respond. I repeat: have they harmed those involved? Didn't Miles Davis make dodgy albums towards The End?

Critics can say what they like. Of course. They can be wrong too. But here's a not-so-funny thing: everyone thinks they're an Art Critic when they open their gobs in response to a piece of work. Eeven me, when I'm not feeling so generous..............but.........I'm usually criticising the whole idea/attitude/(non) thinking behind what I consider to be rubbish. You know? Haven't you ever seen a piece that represents all you dislike about a certain approach/style/mode of thinking? You have? Perhaps in response to Conceptualism (ha-ha, that ol' chestnut!). I love Conceptualism (that should/could be a badge) because..............
it doesn't look like Art
it annoys people who think they know what Art is
it outs all the knee-jerking supposed people with good taste whose critical faculties are based on those created by classicists hundreds of years ago
.........is Richard Prince's work Conceptual? Answers please....but keep them to yourself.........

That's all for now. Next time: Why Digital Art Sucks

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment