Monday 23 July 2018

Clod Magazine / Process! festival / the Working Class artist!



We went to Process! on Sunday. It was:
 'a two day festival celebrating independent media & making, bringing together established & emerging designers, artists, activists & publishers to explore, interrogate & share approaches to creative & collaborative process. In the context of high speed media & access to infinite information, how do we create time, space & approaches that can enable us to process the social & political climate & create new media and outputs?'
@Somerset House (see how modern I am by using '@'?
Celebrating what? Independent media and 'making'? Is 'making' a thing now? A viable definition of activity?
"What do you do?"
"I make."
Reckon I'll be using that from now on, instead of 'make art' which, let's face it, is a poncy claim made by poncy people, unlike me, who is a WORKING CLASS ARTIST therefore unponcy, of course. I spotted a badge among many others on a stall which just said 'Working Class Artist' - hey! I almost bought it. I might have worn it specially for our next visit to Tate Modern's members' cafe, except we're no longer members because last time we were there I stood on a table and shouted "WERE ANY OF YOU CUNTS BORN IN A COUNCIL HOUSE?!". I get larey after a few wine gums. So we're banned.

Lots of issue-based zines at the festival. A lot of people have issues, don't they? Body issues, political issues, gender issues, race issues. Plus the obligatory comic strip zines. In short, nothing to interest me. The primary reason we went was to meet the 'makers' of Clod magazine. ...


...splendid fellows they are too. LJ was beside herself, not having been as excited at meeting a 'maker' since she starred in Ultravox videos in the 80s. She'll kill me for saying that. It's not true. That she was excited, I mean. She was in some Ultravox videos, though. She proceeded to tell them (Clod-makers, not Ultravox) how much fun she had reading the magazine in bed, at which point I confessed to all that it really was the most fun she's had in bed for years.

A life without Clod is no life at all so I urge you to start believing in Clod by going to their site and buying all available back issues. It really is the funniest look at everyday British life you'll find in zine form. Or any other form, actually. We had a good chuckle over a Clod back issue and spin-offs at the pub on the way home. You must have a good laugh sometimes...before you meet your maker... 



No comments:

Post a Comment