Wednesday 20 March 2019

Print: State Of Uncertainty / Ordinary Me / Don't Skulk School / Clod Magazine


State Of Uncertainty, RTomens, 2019

I walked up to the local shop wearing the tracksuit-style comfy trousers I don't usually go out in and a casual fleecy top. I felt like a normal person. It's possible but unlikely that someone in this street is also into Ornette Coleman. They may live three doors away. And I'd never know. I bought a Twirl and had eaten it by the time I got back to the flat. That's how far away the shop is and how much I craved chocolate.

You know, I learnt nuffin' at school but my 'street education' stood me in good stead the other night when 'pop music' questions were posed to students on University Challenge. They can beat me to the buzzer on most other subjects of course, although I do all right on 20th century literature usually. So Gil Scott-Heron's The Revolution Will Not Be Televised was played to them. All they had to do was name the artist. Nope! Then James Brown...they struggled! They conferred. They mumbled. I laughed! Just in time, one of them got it. Don't skulk school, kids...






We in the UK could do with a larf and thankfully Clod Magazine edition 34 is now available here.  


No comments:

Post a Comment