Thursday 16 May 2019

Harmonique 1, 2, 3 - John Coltrane portraits




When I say that yesterday I had 'Coltrane running around in my brain' I'm not telling the truth, strictly, but cannot resist paraphrasing a line from Dillinger's classic tune, Cocaine In My Brain. John Coltrane's sound was running around in my head as much as it could via my ears, but it wasn't exactly on my mind which, I believe, is situated in the brain...but what's the difference? And what does it matter? I was listening to Coltrane, that's the point and he inspired me to make some art in his honour, a kind of portrait, if you will. It began with a simple enough image (slightly altered version above), then I decided to illustrate Coltrane's sonic journey in three stages.




Those of you who know Coltrane's work will recognise the stages, but in case you don't, he went from being a relatively 'straight' player in the 50s to increasingly exploratory in the early-60s and finally completely Out There before his death in '67.



My favourite Coltrane period spans ten years from the mid-50s. I love to hear him running around inside a tune, testing the borders, pushing back the bars to make more room for himself. Limits can be a good thing. I sometimes wonder how my art would change if I had no limitations regarding materials and space to work in, but I'm not sure it would be better if I had everything at my disposal. If, for instance, I could stand a massive canvas against a wall I'm sure I would fill it with one huge mess. A 'tune' that long would give me too much time to meander. Well anyway, here's to the greatness of John Coltrane...within limits.


No comments:

Post a Comment