Thursday 5 March 2020

A Visit to the Ecstatic Peace Library / Oskar Sala



Today I went to the Ecstatic Peace Library, a pop-up shop created by Thurston Moore, Savage Pencil (Edwin Pouncey) and Pete Flanagan. "Where's that?" you ask. "Haight-Ashbury?" No, Hackney, London, but it felt very much like stepping back in time to the stoned age, partly because, well, you know, I was in a record shop...but mostly because there was a lot of 'radical' culchur around in the form of posters, magazines and books relating to anarcho-communal-hippiedom. I noticed those in particular because stuff relating to the 60s catches my eye. There are other books about more contemporary music and some rare paperbacks. 

The mostly vinyl stock is a mix of everything from Rock to Blues and Jazz but it was the avant-garde/electronic section that I was there for. The prices are reasonable, except for anything by Stockhausen, who they seemed to price higher, whether because his albums are worth more or just because he's a big name I don't know. There's a Guardian article here about the place. 


In the end I bought these two...





No comments:

Post a Comment