Monday 27 July 2020

Priority Art / Mess Around with Art and Ray Charles


RTomens, 202o

You have to mess around, don't you? Oh the joys of being an amateur artist - mess around as much as you like! How awful it would be to make good money from art and never be able to mess around. Hold on, perhaps I'd rather make good money and have to be serious.

What? 

I was messing around at the week-end - experimenting with different styles. I like to think (delude meself?) that despite exploiting various approaches my playthings have some kind of...unifying style...or theme...or some...thing. Someone once told me they did. But he was friend, not, you'll be surprised to learn, a serious collector of art who had just been to see me and buy several pieces for thousands of pounds. 

Priority Art (above) resulted in the desire to mess around, more casually than usual. To parody, yes? To be ironic, of course. To call one's own work a 'priority' must be a joke, of course. Mind you, I know one or two artists who actually seem to think like that. The text is from a manifesto by Naum Gabo. I wonder if he ever messed around?

Well, here's Ray Charles...classic tune!



No comments:

Post a Comment