Thursday 16 July 2020

Vispo/Text Art: There's Always More / Of Melancholy Lost





*


How can I have lost my copy of Robert Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy? It's ridiculous! Our flat isn't that big and neither is my book collection, but Burton's book is, big I mean. It's 1392 pages long. I just read a review of a radio programme about it, which inspired me to dip in but it's nowhere to be found. Perhaps, I thought, I'd used it to prop up our handmade wardrobe which has taken to leaning precariously of late and needs books wedged between it and the handmade standing next to it. No, it's not there. Scan my bookshelves again...no. Not being able to find it has, I confess, made me feel pretty melancholic, as does the thought that I could ever have sold such a book. Burton himself may have appreciated the irony, but I don't think losing books was a subject he covered.


No comments:

Post a Comment