Monday 26 October 2020

Print: Cultural Front / Culture Wars (stay out of my head!)

Cultural Front, RTomens, 2020

 
As Tony Hancock said in The Poetry Society: "Culture, mate, that's where the hope of the world lies...". One of my favourite Hancock sketches. I used to drop sections of it into my DJ sets...that's how crazy I was! And how 'cultured', of course.

Unfortunately, culture affixed to 'wars' is now a problematic phenomenon. I try to avoid getting involved in the Culture Wars online, although occasional skirmishes are inevitable. There's plenty to fight about, after all. Race, sexual identity, free speech etc. Luckily, you can't get either cancelled or mobbed for your private thoughts...yet. Perhaps when the day comes that we can all read each other's minds via implants...well, all hell will be let loose. And electoral polls will be right, for once. If culture could once be considered a 'saviour' in some sense, sadly, these days, it could also be the death of unfortunates who say the 'wrong' thing or support the 'wrong' historical figures.

Cultural Front is a spin-off from an altered book I'm working on. I hope to finish it by the end of the year. The collaged paper is a piece torn from what I'd thrown in the bin. I may speak more about it as it progresses. Suffice to say its a large book and I'm not tearing out huge chunks to make the job any easier. 



No comments:

Post a Comment