Saturday 17 October 2020

Print: Vispo-Visage / Book: Women In Concrete Poetry 1959-1979

 

RTomens, 2020

Women in concrete poetry? Who let them in? Oh well, I suppose, since they were given the vote, they should be allowed to be creative now and again! Joking aside, this is a very good collection, edited by Alex Balgiu and Monica de la Torre. Whether or not you believe that 'questions of identity, gender and power' could be 'activated - through the process of the materialization of  language' is another matter. Me, when it comes to identity politics and feminism, I just say what my partner tells me to...or else! 



As you'd expect there's a wide range of styles on display, from minimal to maximal, some incorporating collage, others photography. I've not had it long enough to have found favourites or looked at every page. These snaps are from random flick-and-pause where work caught my eye.




As you probably know, 'Concrete Poetry' is a virtually open form, as is 'Vispo'. Inclusions of certain pieces in other collections have, however, cause me to raise an eyebrow. There are a few here. I don't believe in strict parameters but...should there be limits? If were editing a book, yes, but such is the editor's prerogative, they can include what the hell they like. Content can stretch definition to an extent that the definition no longer applies. Was Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz album really Jazz? Answers on a postcard.

Meanwhile, I recommend this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment