Sunday 28 February 2021

Drawing/print: What Do You Know? / Reactions to art and popular taste

art print drawing dieter roth inspired ink and print
RTomens, 2021


Well, what do you know? That could be taken as either a challenge or a casual form of greeting, couldn't it? I don't know why the phrase popped into my head as I was about to start typing for what became What Do You Know? Yes, there is some Vispo via typewriter art in this piece, but a combination of the ageing ribbon and art paper used meant that the type appeared very feint. On the original, that is - this is a print variation, as you'll have noticed, being the observant, knowing person that you are.

Having scribbled circles frantically, just to get 'it' out of my system, I typed. I wasn't totally satisfied with the result, but then, total satisfaction is rare when making my Folk Art. I mean, there are a lot that I like, then again some I really don't and a few that I'm totally happy with...then there's that rare category, the one labelled 'Oh, christ! I'm a genius!'

It's best not to expect the latter category to crop up too often, so I don't. I work/play, as I must. Some pieces fall into a weird place when it comes to satisfaction...almost as if they defy any commonly-known reaction. Do you know what I mean? You must have seen a piece of art and not really known what to make of it. It's certainly not Bad, but is it Good? Sometimes we struggle to find the right response from the stock set in our heads when, actually, it doesn't exist. Except, perhaps, to say 'I feel ambiguous about it'. 

I'll let you into a little secret now...promise not to tell anyone...

I know, with 99% certainty, what will get the most positive reactions. I know not just from past experience but by being aware of what is more popular, colour-wise, form-wise, content-wise. Knowing that, I should, in theory, strive to tick all the boxes every time I make a piece of art, shouldn't I? But you know what? I don't! That's how crazy I am! I'm just a crazy artist on a journey of creation who refuses to pander to 'popular' taste! Not that I've anything against more commonly popular work or the common way commoners react to it.  'Popular' is relative here, of course. 

That's all for now. There's a chicken roasting in the oven (where else do they roast?) and if I don't check the spuds (also roasting) I'll never create a great dinner. When cooking, at least, the reaction should be 'I like it'. That much I do know.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment