Friday 12 February 2021

Wyndham Lewis - The Enemy magazine / A message from the Vice-President of Integrity / Tudor tower block



Rummaging around amongst my magazine collection the other day I found this copy of The Enemy. Some cover, eh? Here's the info on Wyndham Lewis.

*

Greetings from your Vice-President of Integrity. Yes, I'm the one who checks up on you to ensure that you display integrity. I'm watching you. I'm monitoring you. And you thought you were watching me! What you didn't bargain for was my ability to see you. Yes, this blog is a two-way mirror. You look at it but I can see you from this side! And the first thing I must say is...SMARTEN YOURSELF UP! I KNOW, YOU'RE IN LOCKDOWN SO WHY BOTHER, BUT COME ON, IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE FROM WEARING THOSE SAME TROUSERS AGAIN TO ENDING UP IN TRACKSUIT BOTTOMS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! Secondly, if you're viewing this on your mobile whilst out and about...ARE YOU BREAKING ANY LOCKDOWN LAWS? If so, GO HOME NOW!

*


To escape The Cave for a while we cycled over to Canonbury the other day in order to see the tower, built between 1509 and 1532. Impressive, eh? They built it to rehouse peasants, get them out of the hovels they lived in and inhabit the brave new architectural world. Unfortunately, the Tudor modernists' dream turned sour within a couple of decades and the place was covered in graffiti such as 'FUCK THE FRENCH!' and 'MARY IS A TART!'. Vandalism was rife and life in the tower became hellish. That's all I know about it. If you want to read more the Wiki page is here

No comments:

Post a Comment