Sunday 2 May 2021

Booklet/Typewriter art: Memorials of a Vanished World




Handmade booklet from 2012 which used text from a large collection of 'sampled' texts called Shadows. I've never been able to knock the 70-odd thousand words into a satisfying shape but have extracted sections since, as in Memorials of a Vanished World

Instead of pilfering my favourite sources for text to type (Sartre's The Age of Reason and song titles being two) it occurred to me to use Shadows, or rather, the booklet created from it. Whilst I've never been keen to use longer statements in my typewriter concrete poems, since the subject of the text refers to typewriting and the mystery of writing, word as virus, text as control mechanism, it seemed appropriate.

The finished piece at the bottom of this page was made this morning. Sometimes the figurative does appeal, so I try to integrate figures into the text. The Beast is currently playing up, hence reverting back to my first typewriter love, the trusty (just about) Remington. 




No comments:

Post a Comment