Sunday 16 May 2021

New Typewriter! Brother Deluxe 220 / Vispo/concrete poem: They Don't Exist / One of the greatest songs ever recorded



Look, I never set out to collect typewriters and haven't started now, honest. It's just that I spotted this in a charity shop in the week, in its case, which luckily for me is not the way to get anyone to buy it, obviously. If this little beauty was actually displayed I'm sure it would have gone by the time I walked in the shop. The price tag was £15 but even then I thought I shouldn't really spend anything in such an indulgent manner. But LJ suggested we ask if they can do us a deal so she did the asking and to our surprise they suggested £10. Er, OK! What a deal! As far as I can tell the Brother Deluxe 220 dates from 1969, although others have simply said '70s. To me it has the look of late-60s design. It's in a gorgeous red, I'm sure you'll agree.

The snap below is of the second try-out. So far all seems fine. I haven't finished a piece on it yet but only got the new ribbon yesterday.


typewriter art vispo concrete poetry


Here's one I made earlier on the Remington, as they used to say on kids' programmes when showing us how to construct ...um...nuclear bunkers from loo roll tubes...or something. A light touch was deliberately applied to text in the carbon-marked area; nothing to do with an old ribbon. As you'll have worked out, being so bright an' all, it represents someone fading into non-existence. 

 


That's all for now, except to offer what I decided this morning is one of the Greatest Songs Ever Recorded...



No comments:

Post a Comment