Saturday 24 July 2021

Cult collage: Don't Take Chances / Book: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood by Quentin Tarantino

 

RTomens, 2021

I've had this book, Local News: Tabloid Pictures from the Los Angeles Herald Express 1936 to 1961, for some time, with a view to using the images in collages. Up until yesterday I hadn't taken the plunge, by which I mean set to work with scissors on an image because...the book is so damned good! The photo reproductions are top notch...it almost seems a shame to butcher the book, but hey, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, or a collage without cutting up a page. So I did. 

The work above is a paper collage with added print. I did take a chance because there was no guarantee the print wouldn't ruin the collage but who dares wins. I think I won. The woman is Melba Karnes, about whom I could find no info, having had a look because the caption describes her as a 'cult member'. That was in 1948. Which cult, I wonder?  


I chose Melba through a random flick, only reading the caption (it's on a preceding page) after I had cut her out. It so happens that I'm reading Once Upon a Time in Hollywood by Quentin Tarantino which, as you probably know, involves the Charles Manson cult. As I confessed on social media, I almost feel guilty for enjoying it so much. The design is a perfect retro style, eh? That bonus aside, I was hooked from the start. Of course Tarantino shows off his film nerd chops but doesn't overdo it. It's funny and, as you'd expect, the dialogue is great.



No comments:

Post a Comment