Wednesday 2 February 2022

Print: Crime Never Pays / Destroy All Monsters

 

RTomens, 2022

It was like watching paint dry...I mean, watching paint dry. So whilst doing that I got busy on the printer this afternoon and came up with Crime Never Pays. The painting/collage turned out quite well. I might post it...if you're good. 

A discussion this afternoon involved the subject of listening habits whilst 'working' (on art/writing). One band I mentioned and often listen to is Destroy All Monsters, specifically the Destroy All Monsters 74 - 76 comp. I was lucky enough to buy the book containing all editions of their magazine before the prices sky-rocketed. It's filled with cheap-looking (and yes, sort of 'nasty') artwork and more glossy (fine art?) prints. I sometimes flick through, not so much for inspiration as in recognition that without knowing it I've frequently worked in the same way they did, a similar aesthetic. 



Their best music, such as that featured on the comp, matches a lot of their art, i.e., grungy in a good way, in a way that's raw, free-spirited, multi-influenced. 

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment