Thursday 4 August 2022

Collage: Conflict Arises / Psychic TV man

 

RTomens, 2022

A man wearing a Psychic TV t-shirt came into the shop the other day so I said:
"You don't see many people wearing Psychic TV t-shirts around here!". 
He laughed, replying "Oh, there is someone else."
"And you know him," I said with a smile.
"Yeah, I do," he replied. 
So we had a chat about underground culture and whether it existed today, him being optimistic, me definitely not and persuading him he was probably wrong.

But what would underground culture be? What would it look and sound like? Does it have it's own art, music, clothes? If so, I haven't noticed.

We talked about old Soho, where there were loads of late night dives, when it was still rough around the edges as opposed to the increasingly gentrified shopping/luxury apartment centre it's rapidly becoming.

Then he had to go, quickly, because his wife was about, somewhere. I found that funny in retrospect...and not very Psychic TV to scurry off because of the wife! Not that I expected him to live a hardcore life with her, in a squat, watching snuff movies whilst making harsh electronic noise. In East Finchley? Ha-ha! Well, they might be...

Psychic TV, collage, underground culture, old Soho, art beneath the underdog

No comments:

Post a Comment