Tuesday 16 August 2022

Collage: The Shooting Party / RIP The Beast / Cut and paste vs Photoshop

RTomens, 2022

Make some collages as a contrast to typing - why not? I've collaged for decades because I could never learn all those Fine Art skills. Besides, The Beast has broken down - again! Perhaps in protest at being misused, not that I could ever fathom what a carriage that wide was used for in the office to start with.

Anyway, I solemnly mark this time as When The Beast Died. Its previous owner took it away but he's since contacted me and there seems little hope of a repair. Sadly, there are no professional typewriter repairers in London and, I've been told, hardly any in the whole country. Can you believe that? Do you care? No. I wonder if people buying typewriters in the UK realise that once they break down, that's it. I'm guessing may buy them just as ornaments anyway.

Scissors rarely 'break down'. Cut and paste feels primitive...and it is compared to Photoshop, but as I've mentioned a few times (what do you mean you weren't listening?) I don't like the results Photoshop provides. Too smooth. 'You can't see the joins' is supposed to be a compliment but not in collage, not in my book. No doubt there's a way to make digital work look handmade, just as there are downloadable typewriter fonts. I like the latter and have used them a few times.

Technology doesn't let you make mistakes. or rather, it allows you to correct them. When using paper, scissors and glue, however, the mistakes can either add a surprising twist or be disastrous. Yes, we've all done it; added the wrong thing to an almost complete, otherwise good collage. The Shooting Party is a simple creation though, therefore mistakes weren't likely. That said, it's frequently the case that looking back on a piece of work you can see how things could have been done better. To that I respond "No matter! It came out as it did and that's that!" 

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment