Thursday 13 October 2022

Three Collages / Walking/ Pop Artwork(ing) with The Beatles

Know Nothing, RTomens, 2022


Yes, I've been collaging and here are three recent examples.

'But what about your process? Describe your practice!'

No. More importantly, have you ever become conscious of the act of walking? I did the other day, in Kentish Town, as I made my way towards a charity shop. Perhaps it was the coffee I had just drunk; my head was spinning a bit. That was probably down to both caffeine and the excitement of anticipating finding great books. Either way, I suddenly became aware of putting one foot in front of the other....the bio-mechanical process...the fact that I could do it without thinking yet there I was actually thinking about it, to the extent that I almost had to stop for fear of walking strangely (not that anyone would notice in Kentish Town because it's full of people doing strange things, looking strange too).

Days Apply, RTomens, 2022

Thinking a lot about the art you're making can, they say, create a kind of mental freeze up, although I wouldn't know, never having spent too long thinking whilst making. Yes, I know, it shows. But I believe in spontaneity, to some degree. Not too spontaneous, otherwise the results will usually be rubbish.
 
Reading Revolution In The Head by Ian MacDonald recently a passage describes how The Beatles favoured spontaneity for much of their musical life, only becoming more self-indulgent towards the end.  He relates it to the nature of Pop music's rapid rotation (45rpm?) of ideas and sounds; the nowness of Pop. That makes sense. Perhaps I, unconsciously, also create in the same way, aside from displaying obvious Pop Art influences when working I want it finished quickly. Relatively quickly, of course.  I hope I don't rush towards the finish and subsequently ruin what would have been better if I'd taken more time.


No Shape For A Girl, RTomens, 2022

Talking of time. My stomach is telling me it needs feeding. TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment