Tuesday 22 November 2022

Drawing/Print: Art-Like / Madeleine Moment / Film: Living

 

RTomens, 2022

I had a kind of madeleine moment this afternoon when biting into a McVitie's Milk Chocolate Digestive biscuit - something I haven't eaten for so many years, decades, even. The crumbly biscuit...milky chocolate...the satisfying yet unfulfilling experience which makes you want to eat more and more and more...deluding yourself that you will be totally satisfied the way you are when you eat something heavier, more wholesome...but no...you just start to feel a bit sick...

I lazily refer to Proust, not really knowing what I mean, except to say that the taste instantly took me back - but when I went 'there', I found nothing but a blank, a ghostly presence (me) in a misty past; time compressed to a single point, a nostalgic dot...

Talking of nostalgia (for times never lived in), we went to see Living the other day. It's directed by Oliver Hermanus from a screenplay by Kazuo Ishiguro and between them, a South African and someone born in Japan (although he moved to England when he was five), they've created a quintessentially English film. By which I mean they've captured the restraint and repressed emotions of 50s English life as we imagine it; in the office, at least, but also in society, best expressed here at the funeral. Jamie D. Ramsay's cinematography is sumptuous, using a rich colour palette straight from the era. The script is spot on and the story of small triumphs perfectly told. Mr. Williams' (Bill Nighy) delight in discovering the 'thrill' of an arcade game encapsulates the smallness of a life lived within constant self-imposed constraints. A beautiful film.

No comments:

Post a Comment