Monday 27 March 2023

Collage: Look! / In The Bookshop / Cisco Kid - War (Live)

 

RTomens, 2023

Another day, another collage - no, I don't make them every day - some days I work in the bookshop, which doesn't feel like 'work', it's true. In fact, every time I unlock and open the door, taking the first steps inside, I still feel a...tingle? A rush? A...sense of wonder that the domain of books is under my control for the day...a sacred space, almost...where I sit surrounded by spines, some of which are over 100 years old...some well-creased, others new from the warehouse...the pre-loved (by whom?) having been touched, held, dropped, folded back, read, half-read, even hated in their time...


Talking of time, it's the 50 anniversary of The Cisco Kid by War, not something many will be celebrating or claiming as a musical milestone, I know, but scanning the 'net as I was this afternoon in search of clips from the Midnight Special show I came across the band performing this classic single and the film quality is exceptional (most clips from the show aren't, but a lot of the acts are great). Was it really 50 years ago when I was a Disco Kid? Yes. Time...get over it. 

Aside from every other genre (Glam, Rock, Reggae etc) we were Funk fiends and dancers before the Disco Craze of '77 tried to give the impression that, hey, white males dancing (alone!) to black music was a groovy new..um...thing. Anyway, if you don't know them, give War a chance...



No comments:

Post a Comment