Thursday 25 January 2024

Book: Reshaping The Invisible (1963) / Collage: Liberation Through Chemicals

 



Charity shop find yesterday. It was priced at five pounds but some pages are about to fall out so I asked if five pounds was the pages-falling-out price or the we-hadn't-noticed-the-loose-pages price. Deciding it was the latter, he took a quid off. Imagine (can you?) how thrilled I was to open this very plain, anonymous-looking book to find it filled with fantastic full-bleed colour (Agfacolor) images. It was produced to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the pharmaceutical and biotechnology company, Bayer, who, funnily enough, trademarked and marketed Heroin from 1898 to 1910. It's funny because the title of the opening essay is: 'Liberation Through Chemical Research'. I don't think heroin ever liberated anyone.





So I was/am torn (not pun intended since I use scissors mostly but do tear sometimes) between using the pages for collage or keeping them untouched. This afternoon I went the third way by altering scanned images from the book on the computer, plus one from a film annual. Here's the result.

RTomens, 2024

As I was saying to a friend the other day, I prefer paper collage to digital (you noticed?). I like it for the reasons usually stated; the feel, the rawness, the handmade look. Yes, I know software can recreate all those things but I've never felt inclined to learn a program that will do it. Plus, I confess, that when I see a very good collage that imitates handmade but then see that it's 'digital' I say 'Pah - cheat!' to myself.

See yah.

No comments:

Post a Comment