Monday 29 January 2024

In Nomansland

 


Perhaps you've been in Nomansland, figuratively speaking. Looking at my current situation (unemployed) negatively, I could say I'm there now. But then, does that mean that being employed is the only positive place to be; a 'real', solid, acceptable, viable 'place' in society? Since we tend to gauge our place in society so simplistically it's tempting to say I'm in Nomansland. 

Wait though, I refuse to be put there! Whilst it's fair to say that not being employed mostly does a person no good, should anyone find themselves in that state and somehow survive in good mental (if not financial) health, then surely that's a good thing. Work for most people is that time-consuming chore that's necessary to survive, materially. 

I have a dull work record, from one dead-end job to another, broken by spells of unemployment. I coulda been somebody, you know! Alas, poor me. The somebody I am had to be fashioned from bitter experience, some lucky breaks and most of all the creative drive that gives me pleasure. 

Work (paid) may be gone forever, but at least I now have time to visit places outside of the overcrowded city; places like Nomansland. The route there was by country lanes, trees lit by a mostly muted, low winter sun, all the more glorious for that...


Nomansland itself is a huge common named, presumably, because no man could own it and hurrah for that. Thank god there are acres in the countryside that cannot be claimed by anyone, either a farmer or a greedy speculator. 


No comments:

Post a Comment