Tuesday 26 March 2024

Vispo: Landmarks

RTomens, 2024

Watching a recent talk by Barrie Tullett when he briefly mentioned carbon paper as a technique used to create colour prompted me to buy some more and use it; I hadn't done so for years. Landmarks is the first creation of the new phase. 

As I said to my neighbour this morning when he commented on hearing me typing and how much he liked the sound, I'm not a precision typist. I'm sure those who create absolutely faultless, very neat shapes etc must be on the spectrum. That or they just think that way.

Does art always reflect something of the creator? I wonder. Much that is personal to me may go towards what I make, somehow...subtly. My 'chaotic' approach could reflect the 'blow-with-the-wind' way I've always lived, which is not to say I'm some kind of spontaneous free spirit but something of a drifter...unfocused, except on art which, ironically, more often than not is usually...ragged? I focus hard on being imprecise.

They way I'm using colour carbon paper is the way I always work, spontaneously improvising. I like how carbon creates (in my case) unintended marks from, say, the roll of the carriage, moving the paper, a finger nail etc. Other marks are sometimes intentional. 

That's all for now, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment