Tuesday 6 September 2016

Film: Phases / I'm A Real Nowhere Man...


....a little film I made quickly featuring my artwork...music by Daphne Oram...



....sat outside the Renoir cafe in Kentish Town this morning I overhear two young folk talking about dissertations, set designs and an opera house - that's how you get Somewhere, talking about dissertations and opera houses when you're young.....

.....I wasn't talking about opera houses and dissertations in my early-20s, which is how I got Nowhere which, in case you're wondering, looks like a factory...actually is/was a factory - that's where you end up unless you talk about opera houses and dissertations when you're young............

........I would have been talking about things like the latest Clash album or a new shirt bought in the King's Road and the latest William Burroughs novel I'd read............................

...............but my Nowhere isn't a bad place right now...I get by...and the young ones couldn't talk about a book they may have written, magazines they've produced or art they've made (well, perhaps the latter, but I doubt it - unless you're an art student there's no room or inclination to make art, is there?)...they certainly couldn't talk about how great the Stiff Records Tour gig was or the impact of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album when it was released...no, they couldn't............

............then again, I'll never finish a dissertation and go on to have a Career in anything at my time of life...a fact I used to mourn, but not any longer.........

.................so, sat outside the cafe in Kentish Town I thought 'It's not a choice, is it? Where we're born and to whom is what decides the kind of path we take...usually...'..........my Nowhere isn't a place those two want to be...and their Somewhere doesn't appeal to me.........

No comments:

Post a Comment