Sunday 17 February 2019

Another Pop Art Book! This Was Tomorrow: The Invention of Pop Art in Great Britain



I didn't need another book on Pop Art. So I bought this...

Image result for this was tomorrow book pop art

It was in the window of the Kentish Town Oxfam bookshop, sealed. So I went in and perused the shelves, telling myself I didn't need another book on Pop Art. And this one wasn't cheap at £19.99. Like Chinatown, forget about it. I chatted to the woman at the counter, mentioning my dilemma. She said she'd ask the manager if the seal could be broken so I could have a look. He came out of the back room, took the book out of the window and tore off the cellophane, then placed it on the counter. They both looked on as I opened it up...oh!... 


...blimey!...


...sold!


What it lacks in word count, each chapter being relatively brief, it more than makes up for with wham-bam visuals, beautifully reproduced artwork...





Chapters on all the key players, plus Colin Self, who doesn't get enough recognition as far as I'm concerned...


This tie-in with the Kunstmuseum Wolfberg exhibition, the first in Germany to present 'a broad survey of the emergence and development of British Pop Art', apparently, is a big and, yes, sexy beast. If perhaps, like me, you thought you didn't need another book on Pop Art, think again.


No comments:

Post a Comment