Monday 18 February 2019

Scrubbing the floor with Stevie Wonder & Sci-Fi Innversions with JG Ballard and Co.




(...................(hold on).....did you imagine a new post today that is not this one? Or did I imagine it; the one that repeated a theme discussed earlier? If so, either you are going mad...or I am...)

I've been busy today - creating images and (far more usefully) scrubbing the tiled floor in the hallway, which I can never do without singing (in my head) a line from Stevie Wonder's Living For The City: 'to scrub the floors for many'. This is totally absurd, I know, since the song is about the struggles of black people in America and I am a white man in London scrubbing the floor only for myself and the missus.


If, as impossible as it sounds to me, you didn't know that tune, I will feel my day has not been wasted by introducing you to a track from one of the greatest albums ever made, Innervisions.

From one kind of innervisions to those of Britain's New Wave sci-fi writers in the 60s as discussed in Colin Greenland's The Entropy Exhibition, which I've just started reading. The talk then was of 'inner space', that vast psychic universe in which the master, JG Ballard and others found so much material. This in opposition to cliched pulp adventures in outer space which amounted to no more than ripping yarns with aliens. Not that all outer space sci-novels were rubbish, of course, but that this breed set out to suggest and describe new possibilities for the genre; mapping the altered mind, if I may call it that. They had their work cut out. Ultimately, they may have failed since only the more discerning cognoscenti see worlds other than strange alien planets when thinking of science fiction. No matter. We cannot concern ourselves with what Mr & Mrs People think, can we?  

No photo description available.

Talking of sci-fi novels, the one featured in the photo at the top provided the material for this...



...I haven't read the book...simply used it.

No comments:

Post a Comment