Thursday 24 October 2019

Drawing: Dammit! / Contemporary Classical Music Haul / deloc by SDEM


RTomens, 2019

*



It's good to talk. Specifically, to the manager of your local Oxfam charity shop. I've known him for years. Today he was standing by the CD section where I was. "Got anything good for me?" I asked. A stupid question because he doesn't know my taste, really. I mean, he might recall I'm into Robert Rauschenberg because we had a big debate over him years ago when I bought a book of his works in the shop. That aside, he doesn't know my musical taste.
   "We've got a load of CDs that came in, classical music mostly" he replied, thus sparking a jokey routine by me entailing some crying over the fact that I'd probably miss out because I wouldn't be in for another week. I really hammed it up. I doubted it would be the kind of Classical I look for anyway, namely, 20th century. Finally he cracked, saying I could have a look. He brought the box out. Yes! You can see in the photo what I bagged at £1.50 each. Not all Classical, but also Classic Rock (!) and Classic Techno (!). Yes, it's good to talk. 

*



'BIG SHOUT OUT TO ALL ATOMIC MATTER' runs the strap line - a good one, considering the scientific nature of SDEM's deloc mini-album on the .meds label. That's not to say it's so precisely constructed as to be boring. Boring is technology put to use by the creatively challenged but here every finely-tuned sound adds a subtle nuance to each piece. The opener, diadora, is especially impressive, conjuring up as it does the classic cinematic sci-fi mood with footsteps and rain setting the future noir tone before the dread of dark alleyways really takes a grip. xzool is another highlight, a perfect mix of low-end metal, pitter-patter percussion and klang. Superb. Have a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment