Tuesday 19 January 2021

Abstract: The Agony of Not Knowing / Abstract art in Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 New Cover Design


abstract art painting abstract expressionist
RTomens, 2018


'And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That's all there is now. My uncle says it was different once. A long time back sometimes pictures said things or even showed people.'

                                                                                                           - Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury

Ah yes, abstract art as the dominant, dehumanising style in a future where burning books is commonplace. Rereading Fahrenheit 451 I came across the above dialogue this morning. From it we might deduce that Bradbury wasn't a fan of abstract art? Published in 1953, when I should think abstract art was very much a talking point, perhaps Ray sided with those who were disgusted by all that paint-splashing, thinking, as many did, 'It's not art!'. I could be wrong. Research might reveal Ray's appreciation of what was then the contemporary art form and putting those words in the mouth of a character was purely to illustrate something of her character rather than his taste. So forgive my immediate assumption if I'm wrong, but it reads to me as if the idea of museums filled with nothing but abstract art is another symbol of a nightmarish future. 

I'm reading this HarperCollins edition...


...someone was paid to design that cover. I turned the book over in my hands last night, examining it. I was looking for something other than what first meets the eye, you know, some detail I'd missed that would change my opinion that it's a terrible piece of design work. I checked to see if there's a credit, thinking that to save money they'd got an intern to do it in their spare time. But no, someone is credited. 

You know when you see something and think 'I could do better than that!'  Well, I'm not one to brag so you will decide for yourself. I had a go this afternoon. Bear in mind that I haven't studied graphic design...

new design cover ray bradbury fahrenheit 451 2021

In hindsight, I should have added blurb to make it look more authentic. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment