Wednesday 20 January 2021

Book: Silâns (1964-1965)

 

silans art magazine 60s underground zine

A facsimile of all 16 editions of Silâns (1964-1965). Produced by Barry Flanagan with fellow student Alistair Jackson and lecturer Rudy Leenders whilst he was a student at St Martins School of Art. Made on the school's cyclostyle machine. Yes, it's the crudeness that's appealing, but much of the content is good too, from poems to essays and drawings. I tried to capture one full essay by Leenders below - hope it's readable. 

Once again in small indie magazines of the 60s we see precursors to the Punk zines of ten years later. When I was doing my bit to overthrow the establishment in 1977 by photocopying zines I had no idea of their heritage and probably dismissed EVERYTHING done by anyone in the 60s as Hippy tripe - that's how stupid I was (no, don't be hard on yourself, I was just ignorant of the history). Perhaps that was better, in a way. I was reacting to the underground culture of the day rather than feeling any burden of influence. That's my excuse anyway. 

More about the magazine here













No comments:

Post a Comment