Wednesday 21 April 2021

The Typewriter as Art / My New Imperial Typewriter / Concrete Poem: Bystanders


Olivetti ad, 1970


The typewriter as Art. Why not? Some of us do salivate over the best-looking ones. Looks aren't everything, of course, as I remind myself whilst looking in the mirror...every day. Take this Imperial 66. You can try to take it, but you won't get far unless you're very strong...'my Imperial weighs a ton', as Public Enemy never said. Someone kindly donated it to 'the cause' of Concrete Poetry having heard me complain that my old wide-carriage machine had broken down. Luckily he gave me a lift home, otherwise I could never have carried it to the station....


...I'm still feeling my way around the Imperial, but first impressions are good. It has a surprisingly sensitive touch for such a heavy machine. By sensitive, I just mean it doesn't require the keys to be hit with a hammer as I first thought when seeing it. It has a good feel to it. The slugs need cleaning, but I'm growing to love The Beast. Here's the third piece I made with it...

typewriter art, vispo, concrete poetry, visual poetry



No comments:

Post a Comment