Tuesday 12 July 2022

Artwork: My Life Of Thrills / Vispo and The Working Man / Artwork by Jane Pearrett

 

RTomens, 2022

It's multi-media - I'm multi-media: TV, video, computer - ain't we all? 

Talking of a thrilling life, our Wenzels loyalty card was fully stamped so the loaf was free. 

Vispo and The Working Man: I'm in the garden typing this morning whilst a workman is up on the roof fixing the leaky gutter. He rings the bell afterwards and shows us the repairs he's done. Then he asks me what I was doing on the typewriter. 
'It's called visual poetry,' I say. 
'That's cool. I saw you turning the paper 'round.' He smiles. 'I've never seen a typewriter being used before.'
So you see, you snobs, the Common Man is capable of appreciating one of the most obscure branches of 'the arts' (is it even a branch at all? More like a twig). LJ reckoned it's because he didn't carry any cultural baggage (just a tool box). I think she's right. But that can swing both ways...wide open to anything...or door firmly shut on any art that 'doesn't look like art'. That's not only a problem with the Common Man. I know a few folk who think they're 'cultured' but their respect is reserved for purely formal art. This may (in some cases) be because they have an automatic distaste for anything artistically 'radical' because radicalism in art so often came/comes from the politically infantile utopian dreamers; types who fantasise about 'revolution' without having given any serious thought to the consequences.


All I posted was this...


Yes, it could upset someone. Anything could upset someone. 


Hmm..this modern art thing...

...what's it all abaht?...

...I'll drink some more coffee and think it over

Artworks by Jane Pearrett



No comments:

Post a Comment