Sunday 8 January 2023

Vispo: The data of experience and the phantoms of imagination / Good sense artists?

RTomens, 2023

Today I was told I had good sense. That rarely happens. He meant compositional sense, though, describing my creative output. I'll take all the compliments I can get and print them off before pinning them on the wall. The wall in front of me, should I pin anything to it, would probably disintegrate completely, such is it's condition (peeling, cracked paint). It's damp in The Cave. If I had the kind of good sense DIY-types exhibit I might have done something about it by now. As it is, the housing association are supposed to make repairs, but when it comes to showing enthusiasm, they lack any sense of urgency.

I would make having more good sense a New Year's resolution, except I no longer make them. Being over 60, it's enough to resolve to get out of bed every day. I'm not sure that good sense suits artists. Does a 'sensible' artist produce interesting work? Or do they sensibly create polished pieces for a professional market? I am probably imagining that. Of course we can all demonstrate good sense in certain areas. Right now, though, I have to stop writing to watch my team, Chelsea, play Man City in the FA Cup. I told you I rarely display good sense.  

No comments:

Post a Comment