Saturday 28 January 2023

Vispo: My Thoughts / Book: Seeing Loud: Basquiat and Music / Music: Ikarie XB​-​1 by Zdeněk Liška

RTomens, 2023

I'm on a roll(er)! No,  I mean, the roller was on the paper, meaning I cleaned the black ink off the roller and ran it over a new red ink pad - one sweep downwards and build the typing around it. hey - that's vispo, folks! Someone replied on Twitter, claiming to be able to 'see my thoughts', presumably my thinking whilst creating My Thoughts.  Well, mebbe he could, but only superficially and through subjective 'reading', presumably. As I said in response, it's a good thing he couldn't see all my thoughts - they're mostly marked 'Private - KEEP OUT'. 

Who would want my thoughts anyway? Really. I'm no wise man, not am I especially witty....

(I know, I've just negated the validity of this blog - dammit)

Besides, our written thoughts are merely the cleaned-up, edited versions of the kaleidoscopic mess in our heads, aren't they? Funny as it sounds I don't think too much when making art, typewriter art or whatever. Yes, I'm a spontaneous, improvising, crazy man! I'm the Charlie Parker of visual poetry! I wish. Minus the drugs and...OK...the talent. 

Talking of Bird and all that Jazz, I recently bought Seeing Loud: Basquiat and Music. First class design job, although there seems to be no credit for whoever did it - love the embossed cover and font used for the essays. Looking at the cover, I wondered how many people would get who Basquiat was referring to and the title. When asked about his favourite music, though, he apparently just said 'Miles Davis'. Well, I would say that too if the question related to Jazz. Otherwise, their are too many artists to consider.





My latest favourite album, for instance, is Ikarie XB​-​1 by Zdeněk Liška on Finders Keepers. You can also listen here if you don't like/have Spotify. For me it represents the best in electronic/acoustic space age soundtracks combing Pop and avant-garde ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment