Wednesday 1 February 2023

Book: Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry / Vispo: Same Autumn In A Different Park


Well, I've reached the end of the 843-page trail created by Larry McMurtry. Lonesome Dove is the epic Western novel, so good that it had me doing what I swore I never would again, namely; read such a long novel. Like films, I firmly believe that novels should be on the shorter side. Don't call me lazy! I'm...perticular about such things, believing that there are perfect lengths for films and novels; yes, the classic 90mins for film and around 200 pages for a novel. That relates to my one criticism of Lonesome Dove. It could have been shorter and just as good. There are detours which, although never irrelevant, had me wanting to get back on the trail with the two main characters and the rest of the team. That's a minor quibble, but all the action and agony of the journey are what make this novel great, along with the superb dialogue. 

*

RTomens, 2023

This vispo piece turned into a kind of landscape a few minutes after starting. I had in the back of my mind landscapes by Max Ernst, without wishing to attempt anything like a copy. How dare I? The title is stolen from one used for a short story written in the 60s found in this:


One of my favourite book covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment