Thursday 14 March 2024

Typewriter Art Workshop

 


Typewriter Art Saturday Workshop! This Saturday, March 16, a one-off art club with Professor Esther Leslie and Barrie Tullett, author of Typewriter Art: A Modern Anthology and co-author of  RUHUMAN. It will be held at People's Museum: Somers Town, 52 Phoenix Road London NW1 1ES

I've been asked to hold the workshop because: 

a) I'm the best typewriter/visual poet they know

b) I'm the only one they know in London 

Joking aside, it should be fun. I hope to be able to coax people into using The Beast which is, I think, probably more intimidating than the common-size little typewriter...it positively snarls 'Dare to touch me!' I'm worried that if any children have a go it will eat them alive. Stranger things have happened.


Can visual poetry be taught? I wonder. Why not? Once someone gets used to tapping the keys and when they see the letter stamped magically onto the page they may also fall in love with typewriting. I hope to inspire them by prompting a sense of play. If anyone tries to create a face, I won't be able to help - ha-ha! 

Tickets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment