Tuesday 16 February 2021

The Return of the Remington Compact Portable!


vispo concrete poetry typewriter art


Yes! The Olympia, which I only bought in October of last year, is kaput. Considering what it cost it's not worth repairing. So I'm glad I kept the much older (1930s) Remington. Besides, the font on the Remington is much better. Now I just have to get used to using it again. On the minus side, the Olympia had a wide carriage, big enough to take A3, whereas the Remington is standard size, which means manipulation of an A4 sheet is limited. No matter. Necessity is the mother of invention, eh? 

I did bid on another model last Sunday but lost out. I do wonder what the winner actually wanted it for. To decorate a room? Probably. Bastard! Us typewriter artists deserve these old machines. We actually use them! Huh! At the last count, there were only three typewriter artists in the whole world...and I'm one of them. That's not true, of course. Some people are probably still creating portraits from typewriters. Clever that, eh? I'm jealous. They get commissions. People look at their work and go "Ooh, look, all done on a typewriter!" They look at my concrete poetry and go "Eh?" Ha-ha-ha-ha!

My last book is still available from here. Help an artist out - I'm struggling here!

No comments:

Post a Comment