Wednesday 18 October 2017

Vispo/concrete poetry: Perpetual Interaction / the artist as writer




Vispo, or concrete poetry: the arrangement of letters or words (and fragments, even, of both) in a way which is other than writing and whilst rejecting syntax/grammar/sense, can also be 'read'. Is that correct? 

What about letters arranged by artists to form what's commonly known as 'writing'? I watched a couple of artists talking about writing in a video this morning. In between them sat the 'host'. The background was a black curtain. They were on a stage. Although in the part I watched the camera remained fixed I presume there was an audience. 

Whilst watching I thought 'I wish I was famous enough to be asked to speak on stage...to have questions asked of me as befits an artist who is worth listening to...' I also thought 'I hate this sterile, 'serious', artist talking sort of thing. Sometimes, whilst trawling YouTube for artists talking, I think the world is full of artists talking, to each other, interviewers, audiences...as if there's a vast industry made from them. Occasionally I find an interesting speaker, but usually they're as dull and lifeless as a theoretical text on post-internet practice...or something.

Fine Art-ists are expected to at least write something about themselves and even specific works should they be shown in a gallery. Yes, the old conundrum that sends artists into a spin as they try to reconcile what they know with what's expected. Often they 'know' nothing. Why should they? Never mind knowing what their work is all about and why they made it. Thankfully, it's not a problem I'm ever likely to encounter. 



No comments:

Post a Comment