Thursday 11 April 2019

The BJPA, or 'Journal' - Unique art book




I've spent the last few weeks creating this, the 'journal', or The BJPA. Some way into the process I came to the conclusion that it constituted a form of 'cannibalism'. The book 'ate' itself, but only after I had first gutted it completely. My original intention was to retain the hard cover but in the end only a section of it remained, visible through the window of the transparent cover... 





Something about a book imposing itself upon itself appealed. Each page is an original page printed on with others from the annual. I became intrigued by the effect of contents from one page superimposed on others. As such, it did not allow the usual freedom when creating prints or collages; no blank space on which to create a composition utilising as much or little space as desired. The pages themselves dictated the background and I chose the subsequent density of each image...








As is my way, so it often seems, I created something which does not easily fit into a category. It is not an 'altered book', nor is it a 'new' art book of images. Perhaps experts in the field would categorise it quite readily. 'Artist's book' is close, I suppose. Either way, it is a one-off. The pages weren't scanned beforehand (only the few shown here) so no PDF version can exist. It consists of 54 pages and will be available for sale soon through one outlet. More news on that when details are finalised.





No comments:

Post a Comment