Tuesday 25 February 2020

Digital collage: Girl With A Itch / Digital/Analogue Art / Dreaming with Thelonious Monk


RTomens, 2020

You've got an itch - it's got to be scratched, right? I get the itch to make art most days. You could call it an addiction. Whatever, it has to be scratched. Girl With An Itch here is one version of an original image, which took the form of drawing over a film poster. I have worked in the purely digital art medium many times before but tend not to, these days. Looking back it was a...phase? That trivialises, perhaps, what was an enjoyable way of working. 

These days, if I produce a final 'look' digitally, it almost always stems form analogue beginnings. Somehow that's more satisfying. I like the process, from analogue to digital. The results may be what others could get working purely digitally but I know what's behind the piece. I know I cut with scissors, printed and/or pasted all the components. It's makes a difference to me, anyway.

Today's soundtrack was Thelonious Monk's album Monk's Dream. It's always a pleasure to tune into Monk's alternate universe; as if our dreams aren't weird enough, Monk's must have been exceptional. He actually made manifest the parallel time/space universe in melody and rhythm, didn't he? Yes he did! 


No comments:

Post a Comment