Friday 12 March 2021

Typewriter Art/Vispo/Concrete Poetry: You Never Know / Thinking about thinking

 

typewriter art vispo concrete poetry
RTomens, 2021


I was thinking about thinking. Now I'm thinking about thinking about thinking.

In bed this morning I thought it impossible to think about everything you say. Naturally? It's often advised that we should 'think before we speak'. A good idea, in theory. But I thought that if I thought about everything before saying it I'd become too self-conscious. Wouldn't we all. Granted, there are degrees of thought. A thought isn't a clearly definable thing with precise perimeters. Yes, we know what a thought is but can we define the nature of the thought? I mean the 'thing' we call a thought. We can barely describe what we think sometimes. 

It's best to think before saying anything on the social network. Yes, we've all been there; blurted something out and regretted it, then hit the Delete button. Sometimes it takes others to point out the folly of something we said. Then again, 'speaking' to names who are just names from all over the world is a weird phenomenon, isn't it? Who the hell is this person I'm getting into an argument with? Why do I care what they say? I'm often spontaneous in online conversations. I think that if I really gave it a lot of thought I'd never say a word. I'd be like those silent voyeurs.

Over-thinking is as bad when speaking or writing as it is in Art. That's easy for me to say since I work spontaneously, most of the time. I don't know why. I think it could be because I have to get the vision out of my system before it fades. By 'vision' I mean urge, really. I have these urges every day. I don't wish to sound...pretentious, but there it is - I mean, I don't like saying things like 'I NEED TO CREATE OR I WILL DIE!!!' That smacks too much of the notion that I am such a 'born' artist, you know? An artist to the core whose very being depends on making Art. I make no such grand claims.

That's what I think, anyway.

TTFN


No comments:

Post a Comment