Wednesday 26 October 2022

Collage/Print: Stamp / Cormac McCarthy - The Passenger


RTomens, 2022

First came the background print of paper I photographed, then the paper collage, then a print of that, then a final print over of a street photo. Of course I have no idea what it's either 'saying' or supposed to 'represent' but sometimes ideas for composing an image just happen and even when the total picture is complete I'm not sure of it's validity but it happened and so it must stand.
 

Good news for a change: Cormac McCarthy's new novel, The Passenger, has been published, which I'm sure you know about if you're a fan. I am a fan...but...I don't know if I should say this, I mean, for my own personal reasons, not because I fear being the only one...but...121 pages in...and...I'm...not...er...very...impressed. Personally I feel disconcerted that it doesn't impress. I feel I might be missing something, or have become jaded regarding contemporary literature. If Cormac McCarthy is disappointing what else in the world can be relied upon? 

A mysterious plane crash, a girl's internal (schizophrenic?) dialogue with a thalidomide victim and accompanying visions, a central character (salvage diver) being monitored by unknown agents and a transgender character called Debussy Fields (!). OK. So it's part drifting loner on the run, part hallucinatory scenes, wholly so-so for a writer from whom so much is expected. Still, I may change my mind the deeper I go. This cannot be a let-down, surely?

No comments:

Post a Comment