Sunday 30 June 2024

Print: Something Happened / JG Ballard paperbacks and judging books by their covers

 

RTomens, 2024

There's somethin' happenin' here...what it is ain't exactly clear...



*


I have the complete JG Ballard short stories in two volumes but recently previous collections from the 70s have become incredibly appealing. First off, obviously they're attractive as items, as books that appeared at the time, being of their time, being what people would have read, how they would have read Ballard way back then. Secondly, I like slimmer books; ones that fit neatly into a pocket. Thirdly, the artwork interests me. 

So I got lucky in the week, coming across these three on one sci-fi shelf of an Oxfam shop. Usually the sci-fi sections disappoint me, lined as they are with big fantasy novels such as Game of Conquest Vols 3, 5 and 6. I heard someone else complain the other day that Fantasy is what's big these days. I wouldn't know, but it makes sense. How 'big' sci-fi is in terms of sales, I've no idea. I don't read contemporary sci-fi. Perhaps I should. Perhaps I should listen to more contemporary music and watch more contemporary films...and Art...and whatever.


The greatest artwork to ever grace a Ballard paperback has to be by David Pelham...


...that's one of several he did. He seemed to totally 'get' Ballard, which is no surprise since he got to know him through Eduardo Paolozzi, thus joining the inner sanctum, the righteous brotherhood of  post-New Wave lit/Pop Art in Britain. It was Ballard who insisted Pelham should produce the artwork for his books. Was England not the coolest place on earth during the 60s Art/New Wave (sci-fi) revolution? Michael Moorcock's New Worlds magazine, Ambit, Ballard, Paolozzi etc? I think so. And Ballard, like one of his literary heroes, William Burroughs, looked nothing like 'cool'. If WSB looked like a Southern gentlemen, Jim looked decidedly English conservative, very suburban. Also like Burroughs, he was older than the hip youngsters around him. They were never going to give up their sensible clothing for t-shirts and denim. No beards either. Yet, both inspire(d) generations to come through their writing. Here I am, judging books by their covers but metaphorically-speaking, it isn't always wise.

TTFN  


No comments:

Post a Comment