Wednesday 12 February 2020

Vispo: Revolver (black version) / Culture (and sweets) In Context

RTomens, 2020

I've OD'd on Haribos...'cause they've brought out Eggs Galore and the egg ones were always my favourite  in the Starmix - bastards - they know what they're doing. 

The green triangles were my favourites in...what was it? The Quality Street tin? I think so. One year my Mum bought some and the green triangles were missing so someone (very dedicated! probably my oldest sister) wrote to the company and we were sent a box of green triangles. That was great but the funny thing is that, when faced with only your favourites, they lose their appeal, don't you think? I mean, really, virtually everything has to exist in context, otherwise...well...it has no context! 

I've sometimes wondered what, say, radio would be like if they only played my favourite music. What if there was a John Coltrane station? Would it get boring after a while. What if all music made was as brilliant as Coltrane at his best? How would we know it was brilliant? How can we tell unless we compare it to a bog standard quartet playing mediocre tunes? Eh? Or, to heighten the effect of a great Coltrane track, we have to hear shite modern R&B/Hip-Hop/Ed Sheeran...er...I don't know many modern artists...

Likewise literature...and film...and art, of course. Sometimes when I watch a Hitchcock film or any other classic I get that thought, you probably do too...it goes something like "Oh, yes, now I know what he's so fucking brilliant!". And I don't mean specific, famous scene, just a few minutes of the film. Yeah, you know the feeling. It's you reminding yourself in an instant of what it's like to watch mediocrity then Hitchcock.

Here's a Coltrane track from my favourite period of his, when he was on Atlantic...




No comments:

Post a Comment